Generator Member party tonight

Last time I stopped by for a member night at Generator there were more pizzas than people, is the party tonight a thing that is really happening? :sweat_smile: I’d love to chat with folks about woodworking / 3D printing / MAKING!

I’ll get the conversation started here, why not. I’m currently working on a cherry blanket chest (following Mike Farrington’s plans from his most recent YT video). This is a lot of “firsts” for me… first time using cherry and aromatic cedar, first “complex” hardwood furniture piece, first time with some of the kinds of joinery used in this design. I found what I think is a good deal on a used 24" drum sander I hope to be picking up this Saturday. Its probably way too big for my 500 sq.ft. shop but hey, I don’t love sanding.

While ordering the aromatic cedar for the blanket chest, I asked if Treehouse Hardwoods could source Valchromat, an awesome material I’ve been trying to find locally. Valchromat is an MDF-like material that comes in about a dozen colors, and it is colored throughout the material, not just on the faces. It uses resins that are more waterproof than regular MDF. It comes in thicknesses from 1/4 all the way up to around 1.25". Its far from cheap but looks great. I hope to use it to build an MFT table for the outfeed side of my table saw soon. Thought others would like to know that it is available! Have you used it before?

I’m also getting back into the build of my MPCNC (mostly-printed CNC) and shared a pic of that in my project blog here on the forums.

Cheers!

1 Like

See you there! We should chat woodworking…and other stuff, too.

1 Like

Oooh! Let me know about the Valchomat if you can find some locally. I have a bathroom that I hope to eventually tile… but this stuff might be a good way of replacing some of the wainscoting that is currently in there (and horribly blistered from the moisture). Hoping to CNC the wainscoting pattern into something that is water resistant and core colored… this stuff sounds like exactly what I have been looking for!

Cheers!

@EricRoy Treehouse Hardwoods in South Burlington can special order it from their supplier. I think you’d probably get decent results with a cheaper material for a use case where there is a lot of area to cover (this stuff is around $300 per sheet for 19mm (~3/4")). Here is a link to a Valchromat brochure, the colors are not super vibrant per se, but they are interesting nonetheless. The channel Get Hands Dirty on YouTube makes some really awesome furniture and built-ins with it.