How to configure User Policies for internet Browsers?

Hi Smart network-admin folks- !

I’m working to configure the browsers in the Learning Lab so that they will not store people’s logged in usernames, among other things. I could go into Chrome and Firefox’s about:Config tabs, but I was wondering if there was a better and more distributable method?

I was looking at this article about configuring Chrome and It seems like it could be the right thing- Could someone point me in the right direction? I’m pretty new to user policies and network policy type things in General-

Thanks!

Robin.

1 Like

For Chrome, maybe set the “BrowserGuestModeEnforced” registry key? This can be installed by double-clicking a .reg file that contains the value.

2 Likes

I only have experience configuring Windows clients in Windows network using group policies. I have used group policies to push software installs and configuration settings to computers on a network. Assuming that you can configure an instance of Chrome or Firefox through a registry setting or another mechanism (the article talked about an ADM template). You need to have a domain controller in your network to push out the policy. You also need to be a domain administrator to stage and deploy the policy. If you have a domain controller and you have domain admin privileges, you need to figure out and test the configuration for your browser on a workstation. Then package the configuration, maybe through a reg file, ADM template or another mechanism, so it can be deployed through group policies. In my experience, this can be a little tedious in case the configuration is not straight forward and has dependencies to other components.

If you have these capabilities, you can manage the configuration of the workstations through group policies. Including deploying software, energy management, printer configuration etc …

2 Likes