VT source for baltic birch plywood?

I need to make a bunch of drawer boxes for some cabinetry and I would prefer to use a quality plywood like Baltic Birch. Does anybody know of a somewhat local source that has recently had inventory, somewhere in VT within an hour drive or so? I used to get it from Treehouse in South Burlington but AFAIK they haven’t stocked it in quite a while.

I thought I saw some last week when I was there, have you been there since they expanded?

They doubled their size and essentially the extra space is all plywoods. Definitely give them a call before you make the trip but they have all sorts

1 Like

Most places aren’t able to get Baltic Birch right now because of the war between Russia and the Ukraine. I know that the Treehouse has some very similar stuff that they are selling currently. As Gary says, I would definitely give them a call and see if they have any recommendations.

1 Like

The treehouse did receive a shipment of Baltic Birch last week. They get their shipments on Fridays and I’ve been calling them every Friday for over a month now. No clue if they still have it in stock because they said it’s quite sought after and they do not know if it will appear in a shipment or not. Definitely call ahead.

I tried not to be greedy and I only bought one 5 x 5 sheet of 8th inch and one 5 x 5 sheet of quarter inch.

Because of the war in Ukraine (responsible for roughly 90% of Baltic birch), the cost has skyrocketed. Expect to pay between $50 and $75 for a 5 x 5 sheet. Possibly more depending on the thickness you need. The quality is still good.

1 Like

If you can register as a business, you can open an account with Atlantic Plywood. They have a bunch of different sizes and thicknesses.

I opened a COD account (I pay when I pick up). They’re located in South Royalton, VT. I drive down and pick it up. They will deliver, but I don’t know the details of that.

I am pretty sure that Treehouse and others in Burlington get their supply from Atlantic.

Contact Claudia:

Claudia J. Norcross
Regional Credit Manager
959-200-3208​ Direct Line
[email protected]

1 Like

Pig Iron exports from Ukraine and the region has swelled steel prices globally as well, so woodworkers aren’t the only artisans affected.

#slavaukraini

Thanks all, I’ll check back with Treehouse and consider arranging a trip to Atlantic Plywood (I do have an LLC so that shouldn’t be a problem). I’ve seen them deliver to a neighbor who runs a woodworking business of some kind just down the road from me so perhaps I can count on delivery even.

I noticed there have been previous attempts to coordinate group buys on the forum here so if there is currently interest in that as well, speak up!

I bought some sheet goods from Treehouse a few months ago and I was asking for equivalent to Baltic Birch, they recommended what they have labeled as bending plywood, if memory serves. Looks decent but was pretty pricy at the time, close to $500 for a 3 4x8 of 3/4 and 1 4x8 of 1/2

There still were some gaps in the layers, not terrible, but wasn’t quite expecting that for the price… Not quite sure on the norm though.

Just following up here… I finally made it to Treehouse this morning and they do indeed have a shelf full of 5’x5’ baltic birch plywood in varying thicknesses. A sheet of 15mm (~5/8") is currently $100 for reference.

1 Like

Picked up 3 sheets of 15mm and 3 sheets of 9mm baltic birch for about $550. One cut on each sheet at Treehouse helped me fit it in my Jeep and here are all the rough cut parts for 12 drawer boxes.